Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Short Field

After many days grounded because of the weather, I finally flew this morning in "my" good old Tecnam Sierra. My instructor decided this was a good time for us to do some short field stuff.

SNS has one literally short field. Runway 14/32 is an old strip from the days of WWII. The strip has cul de sac like things on each side which my instructor said was where they stored airplanes surrounded by sand bags during the war.

The Tecnam unlike most other aircraft, requires flaps to be in normal takeoff position for a short field takeoff. My instructor first demonstrated the take off and then a landing.

On my first takeoff, even though my instructor had told me that I would need a lot more right rudder than usual, I didn't expect it to require so much to keep me coordinated. And it was quite unnerving that the attitude looked really similar to my power on stall attitude. I guess that's the reason why we practice those stalls!

Once I was clear of the "50 foot" obstacle, it was back to best rate of climb, and then stay in the pattern for a landing.

I came in too fast on my first attempt and had to go around. The second time I had to add a little bit of power to make the runway, but it wasn't a pretty landing. The third time was a beauty even if I say so myself. I landed just a few feet beyond the runway threshold and stopped quickly (I know I know, the point is not to stop quickly but to touch down on the first 200 ft of the runway).

Subsequent landings though went downhill. But I do think I got the hang of it....somewhat. Enough atleast to want to go back tomorrow and practice some more!

No comments: