Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More Cessna 140

I flew today with my instructor again in the Cessna 140. "My" Tecnam is still isn't fixed, but apparently will be before I fly next. In the meantime, I wasn't going to pass up any opportunity to fly a tailwheel aircraft. It was a short trip to WVI and back where I fueled up the plane at the self serve gas pump. That was quite an experience. The weather was great, hardly any winds, and the Cessna as usual flew beautifully. That thing is a joy to pilot. I nailed both take offs which left me beaming the rest of the day. I seem to be getting the hang of proactive rudder control during rolls down the runway. The landings still were bad, but I can see that I am getting better at it which is good.

I can imagine that most people would think that it is a bad idea to switch planes frequently when taking flying lessons. This is something I too think of every time I agree to fly anything other than my primary trainer - the Tecnam Sierra. However, I also feel it is more important to be actually flying so that one is learning something instead of being grounded for a few weeks.

I am convinced that because of my taildragger flights the last few times, including my first dual cross country and night flight, that I will be a better pilot in my Tecnam. Why?

For one, I am more acutely aware of turn coordination and how important it is. I am also less dependent on various instruments - the Cessna being bare bones makes it pointless to look for instrumentation on an almost empty panel. I also know that I can land better now, with the nose pointing straight down the runway more times than not.

Of course I didn't master these skills in the Cessna. Far from it in fact. I would probably need a good ten hours more in the Cessna to solo in it. I have already soloed in the Tecnam. What the Cessna has done to my flying however is raise my awareness of the airplane and how it flies, and that I think is invaluable.

While this gives me great confidence as I get back to the Tecnam, I am also a wee bit nervous as I haven't gone solo in more than three weeks now. My instructor doesn't seem to be worried at all, and I trust his judgement completely. I am sure he will come with me the next time I fly, and then let me go on my own once he is sure that I haven't lost any skills.

I definitely look forward to getting back to the Tecnam as that would mean faster progress towards my PPL. But I know for sure that once I am done with it, I am getting a tail wheel endorsement. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: